Friday, December 5, 2008

Uh-0h

I received a letter today from the Willis Knighton transplant committee. It said they reviewed my case and they are sorry, but I'm not a transplant candidate. Just like that. No appointment or anything. It said they reviewed my records and decided I wasn't a good risk. The reason they gave was "chronic malignancies." The letter said I could apply to another transplant center. It also said I could call the transplant nurse if I had any questions.

I had just gotten home when I opened the letter so I tried calling, but she had left for the day. When I asked what her hours were they told me 8 to 4:30. It was 4:10. I said, "Eight to four thirty except for today?"

All I could do was leave a message. I guess I'll try back on Monday. I don't know whether the letter meant I was turned down for transplant surgery forever, or just until five years after the cancer. Or even if they think I still have the cancer. The letter made it sound as if they thought I had malignancies currently. I'm quite confused as I expected an appointment, not a decision.

I'm not going to worry about it right now, though. I can't do anything until I speak to the transplant nurse.

No comments: